Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Chardonnay on Display

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day on this Wine Down Wednesday.
Quick News: I will be heading to Napa next month and will be doing many wine tastings and reviews. For any of you that don't know when I'm not sipping down on wine I am a photographer and I will be there on assignment. If there are any places you'd like me to review on please let me know in the comments.

Chardonnay- That white wine you have chilled on ice that you grab when it's hot out.

Tell Me About It!
The most famous white wine in the world is Chardonnay. While its history is a little rocky, one thing is for sure is that Burgundy is where it found its claim to fame. Chardonnay is a green grape that can be grown all over the globe; the climate and terrain give it many unique flavors. It is a wine makers wine since they can form and shape it to taste how they want it to taste with ease. It can be oaked, unoaked, and malolactic fermented these different processes give the wine a 3rd dimension.

Today's Pick!
Dark Horse Chardonnay made here in California with varietals coming from Lodi and the Delta. I got it at Winco for $7.98 a bottle. It is a golden hue white wine. Slightly sparkling with strong citrus aromas, high acidity, and is medium dry. I taste strong citrus flavors, some pear and the tiniest hints vanilla and brown sugar. This is one of the better Chardonnays I've tried, mostly for that hint of vanilla and brown sugar adding the slightest sweetness which makes the wine for me. I personally am not a huge fan of super dry wines, they need at least some sweetness for me to enjoy it and this wine has just that. While many Chardonnays have flavors of a buttery flavor, this simply does not because it did not go through a malolactic fermentation. It reminds me of when I went wine tasting with my mom and we tried a Chardonnay she said it reminded her of popcorn because of the buttery taste, yet all I could taste was the strong apricot taste. All taste buds are different and Chardonnay is so flexible for the wine makers, I encourage you to just go out and try some yourself.

Cheers!

-Shawntelle

http://www.darkhorsewine.com/wines.php#chardonnay


No comments:

Post a Comment